Public Health Laboratory Services
The Govt. of Maharashtra has a Network of 30 Public Health Laboratories (one each in every district HQ) in 3 tier system. (There are two laboratories in Thane District, one at Thane and another at Konkan Bhavan, New Mumbai.) The Laboratory at Pune functions as State Public Health Laboratory and is the apex laboratory. Laboratories at Aurangabad and Nagpur are Regional laboratories. And remaining 27 Public Health Laboratories are District Public Health Laboratories. State Govt.of Maharashtra has issued a Govt. Resolution for the establishment of new laboratories at the newly formed districts of Washim, Hingoli, Nandurbar and Gondia.
State Blood Transfusion Council
Introduction/AIMS/Objectives The State Blood Transfusion Council has been established in Maharashtra by the State Government vide Resolution dated 2nd & 4th July 1996 as per the directives of Hon. Supreme Court of India dated 4th January 1996. The Council is registered as Society with the Registrar of Society under 1860 Act on 22nd January 1997 and subsequently with Charity commissioner as Trust under BPT Act 1950 on 17th Feb 1998.
The main aim of the Council is to ensure sufficient supply of safe blood and blood products at reasonable cost.
The Management of affairs of the council is vested with the Governing Board comprising of 14 representatives from Public and private sector. The Addl. Chief Secretary Public Health Department is the President and Secretary, Medical Education and Drugs Dept is the Vice-president. The Director Health Services is the Director of the Council and is assisted by ADHS( B.T.) to undertake day to day work of the Organization.
This Directorate of Health Services State Nursing Bureau Work for the Nursing Training Schools and establishment of State Nursing Cadres. Also guide the regional Deputy Director in establishment of their Nursing cadres like Staff Nurses, In charge sister &District Health Officer, Zillha Parishad in establishment of ANM &LHV.
Health Service is very important and Emergency service. Different types of Health Institutes are working under the Public Health Department at different levels throughout the State. The prime motto of Public Health Department (PHD) is to provide better &emergency medical aid, services to the peoples of Maharashtra. To perform the allotted task, all the Health Institutes require different type of vehicles. Vehicles are used as mode of transportation for doctors, nurses, medicines &medical equipments. For effective performance of programme there is need of effective supervision and timely transportation. Supervision of Health programme through out the state is possible only if the mode of transportation, vehicle is available. Vehicle is the lifeline of the Public Health Department. Ambulances, minibuses, mini trucks, vaccine trucks, jeeps are different type of vehicles used in Public Health Department. To keep the vehicle in good condition it requires periodical and timely maintenance. To maintain and to repair the vehicles of the Public Health Department; the State Health Transport Organisation was established in the year 1962. From that onward till now the SHTO is working satisfactorily and effectively.
Like the vehicles, every Health Institute requires different type of hospital equipments. To maintain and repair these hospital equipments Health Equipment Maintenance and repair section (HEMR) section was established in the year 1972 under the SHTO.
Information, Education and Communication
For strengthening I.E.C. activities in Maharashtra State, State Government established an integrated I.E.C. Bureau at Pune. from 1996.
- To create awareness in the community for accepting the health services.
- To involve the community in the health and family welfare programme.
- To motivate people for accepting the health services.
- To change in behavior of peoples about Health.
- To plan the health education activities regarding various National health Programme.
- Production of Health Education material and to provide at field level.
- Organization of exhibition.
- Organization of health education activities for various Women's and Youth' Groups.
- Publication of Monthly health magazine "Maharashtra Arogya Patrika"
- Evaluate the health education activities and various media methods.
- Management of Health Education activities.
- Review of Health Education Projects in the State.
- Organization of Mass Education activities on the occasion of World Health Day, World Population Day, World AIDS Day etc. At the district and primary Health Center level the activities like Film Shows, Organized with the help of local panchayat bodies and voluntary organizations.
- Produce T.V. Spots, Radio Jingles, Films, CDs, & VCDs, Newspaper advertisements etc.
- To Awards to persons working in RCH filed by giving Dr.Anandibai Joshi purskar
Health Intelligence & Vital Statistics
Monitoring and supervision of Births and Deaths Registration and vital statistics in rural and urban areas of state is done by this Bureau, under the guidance of Director of Health Services. Compliance and Presentation of information regarding births and deaths registration and hospital statistics(communicable diseases) is also carried out by this Bureau. Director, Health Services Maharashtra is designated as Chief Registrar of Births and Deaths while Deputy Director, Health Services, Health Intelligence and Vital Statistics is designated as Deputy Chief Registrar of Births and Deaths for the State.
- Following reports are prepared by this Bureau through health management Information system.
- Monthly report regarding civil registration system,
- Survey of Causes of
- Death (Rural) under vital statistics
- Communicable diseases.
- Monitoring of sex ratio.
Under civil registration system, compilation of quarterly report of birth & death monitoring committees at various level (district, block & village)